Fire forces evacuation at Westminster apartment complex | News
WESTMINSTER, Colo. -- Fire forced residents of an apartment complex to leave their homes Monday.
The fire was reported before 5 a.m. at the Vintage at Hyland Hills apartment complex. It's at W. 93rd Ave. near Sheridan Blvd. next to Hyland Hills Golf Course.
A spokesperson for Westminster Fire Rescue says 12 units in building 23 were evacuated. There were no injuries.
Six families were out of their apartments. The unit where the fire happened has
"The fire originated on the balcony and spread to the inside and attic," says Westminster Fire Battalion Chief Derik Minard. "Luckily, the sprinkler systems kept the fire under control inside and basically saved the building."
Some residents say they were alerted to the fire by someone pounding on their doors.
Six families were out of their apartments. The unit where the fire happened has extensive heat and fire damage, two units have water damage, and three units did not have any utilities.
Authorities allowed the other residents of the building to go back to their homes by 8:00 a.m.
Upcoming Events near Westminster
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Man who tortured wife during road trip through Colorado sentenced
- Police look for man who stole woman’s service dog in Northglenn
- Suspects target single, elderly women for home invasions, thefts
- Thieves steal one German Shepherd, two Maltese puppies from store
- Federal Heights police search for possible gunman near Water World