Centennial & Westminster residents: Xcel Energy pilot program seeking participants | Environment
Xcel Energy is in the final stages of recruiting participants for a home energy management pilot program that will help both the company and customers better understand and control energy usage. Interested customers in the Westminster and Centennial areas are asked to contact Xcel Energy by June 30, 2012.
The two-year pilot program is taking place in Boulder, Westminster and Centennial at no cost to participants. Currently there are 750 participants enrolled. Xcel Energy is looking to enroll a total of 1149 customers.
Customers who take part will receive a professionally installed home energy management system valued at $1200 that includes a home base display console, a wireless thermostat and two appliance sockets to help measure energy usage which will all be connected to a wireless sensor installed near their meter which sends real-time energy data to the home base console.
“The program is designed to help learn more about electricity usage behavior and how technology can support better ways to serve customers while reducing overall environmental impact,” said Bruce Peterson, product portfolio manager. “Customers who take part in the program can look forward to greater insight into their electricity consumption and more control over their energy use as they monitor from their home base, or through their computer or smart-phone.”
The program includes control events which are designed to help customers save energy and help Xcel Energy by reducing loads on the electric grid when demands are highest. During such events, Xcel Energy will remotely turn off sockets and adjust the thermostat by five degrees during summer months for up to six consecutive hours. Customers can “opt out” of a control event at any time.
Customers who would like more information or would like to enroll are encouraged to contact 1-888-265-3998 where representatives are available 7am to 7pm to answer questions and schedule your installation. The deadline to enroll is June 30, 2012
Top Westminster Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Four hot air balloons crash in separate incidents Saturday
- Police search for man accused of sexually assaulting 9-year-old girl
- Savings expert identifies best deals during Memorial Day holiday weekend
- Sheriff’s office: 18 malnourished horses seized from Morrison property
- Former Boulder officer sentenced for DUI
- Four-year-old boy dies in apparent drowning at mobile home park
- Man accused of sexually assaulting 9-year-old arrested, police say
- Colorado church group vows to return to Oklahoma tornado zone
- Women targeted in string of northwest metro Denver robberies
- Elementary school music teacher arrested after alleged slapping, pushing incidents